Thursday, July 13, 2006

My Heart, She Doth Ache

Mere days after publicly proclaiming Austin Kearns my favorite Red, he up and gets traded to the Nationals, along with Felipe Lopez and Ryan Wagner. I called Christina to tell her that we sure as hell better be getting the Nationals entire pitching staff in return (though probably with a few more expletives). We got Gary Majewski and Billy Bray for the bullpen and Royce Clayton as a shortstop. A few more players I'm not sure I recognize made it an 8-man trade.

My poor, poor Austin. Even though he is always referred to as a building block for the team's future, I always thought Dunn would be the first of the two to go. How wrong I was. William Bergolla and Chris Denorfia have been recalled to take Kearns and Lopez's spots on the roster.

That article, by the way, makes it sound as if Lopez was the sole source of Cincinnati's defensive problems. I'm fairly certain, however, that there were a few more people contributing. Also, I like how the headline says nothing about who Cincinnati gave up in return.

I will miss my Kearnsy. And I will miss Lopez, too. Wagner, however, I am rather indifferent on at the moment. I sure do love the way he wears his socks, but Denorfia does it, too. And he's much nicer to look at.

Also, I meant to mention the blog's birthday, which was Tuesday. So, happy belated 1st birthday We Heart The Reds blog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The question is, do I have to paint my Austin Kearns bobblehead doll with National's colors? That would suck....

Anonymous said...

The question is, do I have to paint my Austin Kearns bobblehead doll with National's colors? That would suck....