Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Milton, Milton, Milton

I don't know why, but I was completely convinced that Milton was going to put it all together this year and make me feel bad for making fun of him so much last year. I don't know all the details about his appearance today against Toronto, but it looks just like last year to me.

Reds on the mound: Left-hander Eric Milton, who missed his first start of the spring with a strained right calf, lasted just two-thirds of an inning against Toronto. Milton walked one and allowed four runs on four hits, including the homer to Hillenbrand.
That came from here.

Maybe his calf is still bothering him. Maybe it's going to take him a while to get used to pitching from the other side of the mound. Or maybe he made the mistake of thinking birds can't play baseball. Whatever it was, I really hope that wasn't a preview of the rest of Eric Milton's season. For some reason I want to like him, but he insists on making that difficult.

Final outcome = Reds 3, Blue Jays 6.

Edit: After checking out Mark Lancaster's blog it sounds like the problem was indeed Mr. Milton's calf. Apparently there was also a plan for him to only be out there for 30-some pitches, they just all happened to occur in one inning.

I'm gonna go add Mark to the links on the side now. I've been meaning to do that for a while.

No comments: