Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Poor Fishies

It's not as much fun to clobber a team, like the Reds did to the Marlins last night, when you feel sorry for them. But, I push through and laugh all the same, just slightly ashamed of myself.

The poor Marlins looked like they'd never played baseball before. They were only credited with one error. I'm going to assume the game itself was counted as one error. There were dropped balls all over the place (part of the reason the Reds had so many extra base hits). My sister and I declared it a holiday the first time we saw an outfielder catch and maintain possession of a fly ball. We called it That Marlins Dude Caught the Ball Day.

The Reds, on the other hand, looked great. But then, they should look great playing a team that can hardly be considered a major league team.

Brandon Claussen had a good night. 7 innings, no runs, 5 hits. I don't think I'm going to be a big fan of Mike Burns (1 inning, 1 run), but he's got ample time to change my mind. Chris Hammond surprised me once again with a shutout inning of his own.

As for the offense, there were yet more home runs. Adam Dunn hit another 1st inning home run. It seems like he's done that in every game. This one, his 8th so far this year, was a 2-run homer. Austin Kearns added one in the 6th, making that 5 for him. Lots of doubles on the evening as well. The final score was 9 to 1.

Like many other people, I am really liking Brandon Phillips. He was 3 for 4 last night with 4 RBI and a run scored. I enjoyed watching him play, I enjoyed the brief interview with him after the game. If ever granted the opportunity to talk to the man, I'd probably enjoy that, too.

Oh yes! And Griffey the Junior was put on the 15-day DL. Much speculation about that one. A lot of it revolving around the return of Jason Larue and the possible impending release of Tony Womack.

No comments: