Sunday, April 23, 2006

Weekend Update

The Reds are leaving Wisconsin with a 3-1 record against the Brewers for the year. That's even better than what I was hoping for! The weekend was unfortunately marred by Saturday's fiasco, but since the Reds pulled a 180 today I guess I'll let it slide.

Bronson Arroyo threw the ball for a bit on Friday. By "a bit" I mean "8 innings." He gave up a home run on his first pitch, but it was okay. He just did that so the Brewers didn't feel too bad when they lost. He's a nice guy like that. TV called the game a pitching duel, which I suppose it was. The score was 3 to 1, so nobody's offense was really ripping it up. Ben Sheets pitched for Milwaukee. I was going to be really upset with him, but since the boys won that night and (though I didn't know it at the time) Dave Bush made such a mockery of their power the next day, I let him off easy. Sheets had something like 10 strike-outs and almost became my Least Favorite Brewer until the next day introduced the bat of Damian Miller.

All I'm going to mention about Saturday is that Brandon Claussen and Milwaukee do not get along, Damian Miller is my Least Favorite Brewer, I'd almost like the Brewers to have Overbay instead of Bush, and the Reds threw the game because they didn't want the Brewers to be embarrassed in front of what was, according to FSN, the biggest non-opening day crowd they'd had since the stadium opened (they just took it a little too far). Oh, also, the score was 11-0 for the Brewers.

Crap, more to mention about Saturday. In giving up 5 homeruns in the fourth inning, the Reds made a bit of history, becoming only the fourth team to accomplish such a feat, and the first in 40 years (and, since that's some stat quoting, here's where I got the numbers).

Sunday was probably a lot of fun. I was driving back to Athens and since some asshat stole the antenna off my car there was little to no radio signal for me, and thus no game for me. It was probably the same asshat that tried to break off the drivers' side mirror. One of these days they'll get theirs.

The Brewers returned all 11 runs the Reds had given them the day before, and the Reds returned the favor. Aaron Harang, filling in for the inevitably injured Eric Milton on just three days rest, had the first complete game for Cincinnati this year (a shutout, no less). He really is a beast.

All the scoring was thanks to 3 men; Austin Kearns (3 RBI), Edwin Encarnacion (also 3 RBI), and Brandon Phillips (4 RBI). Actually, make that 7 men. Doug Davis and company made it a lot easier by walking 13. Only one home run today, from one Mr. Phillips (whom I heart nearly as much as Pigpen), a three-run homer in the 9th. The end result was an 11-0 beating.

Tomorrow it's off to DC to play with the Nationals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's a car-related anectdote because I've always got to make it about me.

My first car in high school was a shitty 2-door VW Rabbit. The driver's side door took two people to close, so I just never opened it. I kept it locked all the time and slid across from the passenger's side.

After visiting a friend one day, I went out to the car and found that the driver's side door had been opened. After a few minutes, I realized that some dumbass had unlocked it through the rolled-down window (remember this was a shitty car and not worthy of any security measures) to steal the worry dolls I had hanging from the rearview mirror.

I couldn't have cared less about the dolls, but I had to get my friend back out there to help me close the door. The passenger side was open, asshat!

I'm just lucky they didn't figure out that I stored my keys under the driver's seat. Of course, they would have had to have driven it around with the door open...