Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A Win For Williams

The Reds won again! Despite Dave Williams, who really didn't have too bad a night. Spectacular compared with his last two. After the first inning the game seemed rather dull to me. Cincinnati went up 4 to 0 in the 1st, then the Nationals added two on Zimmerman's home run in the 2nd. A gaggle of geese laid eggs in the 3rd and 4th innings. There was slightly more action in the 5th, with the Reds scoring two and the Nats scoring 1 on Soriano's home run. In a vain attempt to catch up, Washington scored a run in the 6th and 7th innings also, but it was not enough. The final score was 6-5. In winning this game, the Reds have secured a series win. Isn't it nice to know that before the last game is played?

Dave Williams outlasted Nationals starter Billy Traber by nearly 4 innings. Traber must not have been in a baseball playing mood and left shortly after the 2nd inning began. Williams pitched 5 innings with 9 hits, 4 runs and a walk. Todd Coffey hung out for the 6th and 7th innings, during which a run scored, credited to Felipe Lopez's error and not Coffey's unusual slightly-less-than-total awesomeness (oops, better make that two runs. The other was an inherited runner from Williams). Kent Mercker pitched a shutout 8th and Weathers pitched a shutout 9th, earning his 6th save.

The final game of the series takes place in about half an hour. Bronson Arroyo vs. Ramon Ortiz. I shall have my broom cautiously and optimistically placed just inside the closet but within easy reach.

And now story time because I remembered something from first grade that is Reds related and I'm amazed I remember it. Sometime in first grade we were supposed to write a letter to our favorite athlete or team. I chose to write to the Reds (I'm sure you're shocked). I have no idea what I wrote. It was probably something like, "Hi Reds, I'm Jacci. You're my favorite team. Bye." I was only 6, after all. The teacher sent our letters and in a few weeks people started getting letters back from their various people. Pretty soon everyone had a letter but me, and mine never came. So, 1989 Reds, though this had absolutely no impact on my fandom, where's my damn letter?

No comments: